Can I get car finance if I have been in the country less than 3 years?

Approved by the Car Finance Advisory Board

In this section we help to answer questions around your location, residency and time spent within the UK. These are important questions that may impact your application for finance. UK residents that have been living in the country for less than 3 years are unlikely to be accepted for car finance. Lenders place a high level of importance on the location that a consumer has been living in to ensure that they could trace the customer to a new location if anything were to go wrong with the payments of the finance agreement.

For a consumer in the UK it's important that you can provide your last 3 years' address history so we can check that you've been living in the country and at the addresses that you've provided. This is to ensure that the lender has the confidence that they could find you if you were to stop making your finance payments.

The vast majority of people in the UK will be able to prove the location of their residence over the last few years. A key way of doing this is by ensuring that you're on the Electoral Roll. If your credit file doesn't show you on the Electoral Roll, then bills in your name at that address will also help to prove that you lived in that location.

I live in Northern Ireland - can you accept me for car finance?

We are pleased to say that we're able to help people that live in Northern Ireland. This has not always been the case, but we do now have a lender that will allow us to provide finance to consumers that live in Northern Ireland. If you live in Northern Ireland and would like to make an application for finance, please complete our two minute car loan application form.

Is it possible to get car finance as a non UK resident?

No. Unfortunately, to be accepted for car finance from Creditplus, you'll need to be a UK resident. If you've lived in the country for less than 3 years, we'll be unable to help you. If you're living in the UK, but have a European driver’s licence, then we may still be able to help you.

Does anyone give car finance to temporary residents?

No, unfortunately as we have stated in the previous questions, you'll need to have been a UK resident for at least three years in order to be accepted for car finance. If you're living in the UK as a temporary resident and need a vehicle, you'll either need to purchase one with cash or look at renting a vehicle for the duration of your stay.

Can I get car finance if I live in Guernsey or Jersey?

Unfortunately we are restricted with the finance that we can provide in certain locations, and we're currently unable to supply finance to anyone that permanently lives in the Channel Islands.

If you can’t find the topic you’re looking for here, please take a look at the rest of our Help section on car finance eligibility, or talk to one of our Customer Advisors now by using our LiveChat service.

Published: 16/05/2016
Last Updated:31/01/2019
How useful was this page?
Thank You!

Got a question for us?

If you require further assistance, our team of Customer Advisors are here to help. We're open six days a week - you can view our opening hours here - and we're more than happy to answer your questions.